Whilst many of us may feel comfortable holidaying in our home country on a very free and easy itinerary, when it comes to travelling further afield some of us prefer to do so through the security of a recognized travel agent or a reputable tour organizer. Certainly, South America is a long way from home and the continent, though undoubtedly beautiful and fascinating in equal measures, also has a reputation for being dangerous in certain regions. Given this, many tourists choose to make their first trip to stunning South America either as part of a tour group, or they decide to join a guided expedition to some parts of the continent and travel solo in others.
Peru is one such place where travelers often find it simpler to see at least some of country under the protective and educational wing of an established tour company, particularly when it comes to exploring the stunning Andes mountain range and the glories of the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu.
Certainly, one of the best ways to travel Machu Picchu is to book a trip with an informed guide. Seeing a major tourist destination like The Lost City of the Incas as part of a tour gives you a couple of important advantages over doing it yourself. Firstly, all the itinerary planning, juggling transport options and timetables and organizing entrance permits etc is done for you, and secondly, you will visit the site with a knowledgeable guide who can tell you the full background and significance of what you are seeing.
If you feel that this is how you’d like to see the wonders of Cusco, are there a huge variety of different tour companies operating in this part of Peru and an even bigger choice of tours available. As a result, it is best that you have a rough idea of what you want to see, how you wish to travel and how long you’d prefer to go for before you book a tour to Machu Picchu. Some things to consider are:
- Do you plan to visit Machu Picchu only, or do you want to see other cultural sites as well? dissertation thesis
- Would you be happy to trek sections of the tour–especially along the renowned Inca Trail – or would you prefer to use transport wherever possible?
- Would you like to camp, or stay in hotels/lodges? What level of comfort would you prefer as this varies greatly, even in the camping options.
- Do you wish to do your Machu Picchu tour as part of a far longer organized trip, say one that took you trekking along the Inca Trail and then on to other Peruvian tourist destinations like Lake Titicaca? Or do you want to see Machu Picchu with a tour group and make your own arrangements for the rest of your sightseeing?
- Do you want to do a Machu Picchu day trip, enjoy a 3-4 day trekking tour along the Inca Trail, culminating at the at the famous Inca site, or have you always dreamed of South America tour taking in the wonders of Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay and other exotic countries, as well as Peru?
Given so many tours, treks and excursions on offer, it is important that you do your research and really think about what you want to see and do before you board your flight to Peru. In the following pages, we will look at some of the kinds of Machu Picchu tours available in the hope of assisting you in your choice.